Monday, March 9, 2009

Conflict


In act V macbeth endures an internal conflict. Macbeth's internal conflict i believe is similar to a famous Clash song written in 1981 titled, "should i stay or should i go." Macbeth needs to decide whether to stay and die or possible run when he realizes that the birnam woods are literaly comming towards his palace. Most of the people fled while Macbeth stays valently to his death. This really represents Macbeth's character. I can estimate that most people would have decided to run knowing that they were destined to die. Would anybody really want to stick it out knowing fate wasnt on their side. I hope that if i ever face a situation where i had to decide on running away from the issue or facing the issue that i would face the issue going down in blazing glory.

6 comments:

  1. I agree with Tommy that MacBeth was faced with a tough internal conflict of staying or going but I dont think he did it because he had a noble character at this point in the pplay. I think he stayed because he was over confident that he could not be hurt by any man. He didnt know fate wasnt on his side. He thought it was and that's why he stayed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i agree with tommy that Macbeth staying to fight his death appeared brave but i have to say i don't believe it was out of bravery. Through out this whole play Macbeth's actions were fueled out of weakness and insecurity. When Macbeth decided to stay i think it was purely out of rage and spite against his fate. He was already contemplating that life is pointless and a basic waist of time. Macbeth staying he was almost a act of committing suicide. he had given up and was just filled with rage.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I second Tommy's argument that Macbeth, faced with death, stood his ground to defend his honor or whatever honor he had left. But I don't think it was necessarily courage that boasted his strength. Rather I think it was the idea he was invulnerable to any of those whom were women born.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think that the song is a really good comparison to Macbeth's situation but the only reason I think he didn't run was because he still thought he was invincible at this point. He only fought Macduff because then he realized it was completely hopeless.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think the similarity between the song and what challenge Macbeth faces in the play is very creative and is a great way to interpret Macbeth's internal thoughts. The song comparison could also be linked to the stage of the hero journey Macbeth is on.

    ReplyDelete