
While reading this play I often find myself frustrated with the confusing structure of Shakespeare's words. Thats why it surprised me that even after reading the stripped down "modern day" english version of the play, I have come to appreciate Shakespeares words and now perfer them. For instance when the old man of seventy years enters in the last scene of Act 2 he describes mother natures response to the murder of the king. The modern day english is pathetic. "Ah yes..old man. You can see the skies. They look like they're upset. The clock says daytime, but the dark is strangling the sun." Now what Mr. Shakespeare said. "Ha Good father, Thou seest the heavens, as troubled with mans act threatens his bloody stage. By th' clock 'tis day, And yet dark night strangles the traveling lamp." I think its sweet that Shakespeare names the sun a traveling lamp and from now on when appropriate I will say traveling lamp instead of sun. I love lamp
No comments:
Post a Comment