One of the first symbols used in Macbeth is the thunder and lightning presented in the background when the witches speak. In act I scene i the thunder is used to give a sense of impending doom. The witches themselves are portrayed as very dismal characters, and the storm in the background only enhances their gloomy presence. In act I scene iii the witches appear again, and this time their arrival is coupled with the background sound of rolling thunder. Once again the thunder is used to give the idea of dark times, like a stormy night, similar to the play where the witches speak of violent acts, and foretell impending doom. Shakespeare adds the sound of thunder whenever the witches appear, as if the storm follows them at all times. In the play treachery and death often follow the witches, therefor I believe the thunder is a symbol of death and betrayal.
Tuesday, February 24, 2009
Symbols and Imagery
One of the first symbols used in Macbeth is the thunder and lightning presented in the background when the witches speak. In act I scene i the thunder is used to give a sense of impending doom. The witches themselves are portrayed as very dismal characters, and the storm in the background only enhances their gloomy presence. In act I scene iii the witches appear again, and this time their arrival is coupled with the background sound of rolling thunder. Once again the thunder is used to give the idea of dark times, like a stormy night, similar to the play where the witches speak of violent acts, and foretell impending doom. Shakespeare adds the sound of thunder whenever the witches appear, as if the storm follows them at all times. In the play treachery and death often follow the witches, therefor I believe the thunder is a symbol of death and betrayal.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment